Ladies of Leisure

A friend in Cairo asked me how I spent my day. This incident took place a few months ago. At first, I was eager to share. I said that I went for a foot reflexology session with a few of my girlfriends then followed it with brunch and some shopping. I didn't realize how trivial I sounded. Like I was swimming in a sea full of massage, coffee, fancy malls and small talk. I could see the image I'd drawn out for myself and I didn't like it. Not one bit.

But I can't blame anyone for the thoughts they think when I say things like that. Before quitting my job, getting married and moving away with my husband, I thought of expat wives as women who have a lot of time on their hands; women who have an endless stream of maids abiding to their every request. I thought that they spent all of their time lunching and being the ladies of leisure that people thought they were. Have I found people like that here that fit the stereotype? Not completely. I can definitely understand where it stems from.

The cleaning service that we have hired come on a weekly basis. The girls who are sent are always different ones and do not speak English so I have a tough time communicating. I have developed super sign language techniques and walk around the house with a Bahasa-English dictionary. I have learned to say "tzans seet" instead of "change sheets". But do they listen to me? Mostly not. I end up having to re-do many things I asked them to. Am I lucky to have someone to clean my house "properly" once a week? Yes. Am I agitated every time they leave? Yes. And do I still have to dumb-down myself to communicate? Sadly... yes.

Oh, and something additionally not so glamorous, with a quiet house I've discovered that you can hear our neighbors' flush. Every time. Pleasant! :)

No comments:

Post a Comment